The one I dug out of the trash?
I know you are shocked ;-)
It was tricky to find enough usable fabric.
And by usable, I mean, it doesn't yet have rips or tears,
but there are still plenty of fraying bits in my 'usable' pieces...
Matching the plaids on those corners
was not an option.
Surprisingly, it doesn't bother me one iota.
I actually think it is more pronounced in the photos than it is in person.
The AMH fabric that I ordered for the back
didn't go quite as well as I'd hoped it would,
but Tyler was impressed enough with the softness
(unwashed, of course. I never pre-wash my quilting fabrics.)
that he wanted me to use it anyways.
It made finding an appropriate binding a wee bit tricky,
but I am quite pleased with what I ended up with.
I chose a skein of embroidery floss that matched the binding
to do my one 'x' of hand-quilting.
Because I had to do just a little hand-stitching, ya know?
I almost completely sewed the binding on by machine;
I figured it is such a small quilt, it'd be great to practice on.
But I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
I simply enjoy hand sewing the binding down too much.
And I like the look of a hand sewn binding.
(plus - my straight stitching still leaves a lot to be desired.
Tyler thinks those diagonal lines are super straight,
but in reality, they are - um - super organic.
And by 'organic', I mean
I finished sewing down the binding on the way home from my mom's house on Sunday,
and already this quilt has seen a lot of use.
As a matter of fact, I had to steal it from Lex' so I could take it out for pictures...
Here's hoping for another dozen or so years of cozy comfort
from a beloved shirt.
many thanks to my stud muffin quilt holder ;-)
linking up with quilter extraordinaire, AmandaJean :-)